Rafael Nadal has said he will sue the former French government minister Roselyne Bachelot after she alleged that the Spaniard’s lengthy absence from tennis in 2012 was due to a positive doping test.
Nadal, who beat Gilles Müller 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 in the second round at Indian Wells on Sunday, has never failed a drugs test and responded angrily to the allegations made by Bachelot, who served as sports minister between 2007 and 2010.
“I’m going to sue her, and I’m going to sue everyone who [is] going to comment [on] something similar in the future, because I am tired of that,” said Nadal. ‘There is a couple of times I heard comments like this … this is going to be the last one, because I’m going to sue her.
“I am tired about these things. I let it go a few times in the past. Not more. A minister of France should be serious. This time is the time to go against her.”
Speaking in the wake of Maria Sharapova’s revelation that she had failed a drugs test, Bachelot said: “We know that Nadal’s famous seven-month injury was without a doubt due to a positive [drug test]. When you see a tennis player who stops playing for long months, it is because he has tested positive and because they are covering it up. It is not something that always happens, but yes it happens more than you think.”
When asked about Sharapova’s failed test last week Nadal said: “I really don’t know anything about the doping and I am a completely clean guy. I worked so much during my whole career and when I get injured, I get injured. I never take anything to get back quicker. I believe in the sport and in the values of the sport.”