Andy Murray, a top-ranked professional tennis player and advisor to Seedrs, has released his first investments for 2106 via the equity crowdfunding platform. Murray has reportedly invested in five different early stage companies for undisclosed amounts.
Jeff Lynn, CEO, and co-founder of Seedrs said it was great to see Murray invest in UK entrepreneurs;
“Seedrs is now the most active seed-stage equity investor in the UK, and our continued growth and leading position in the market are the testaments to our reputation and the support from people like Andy.”
His investments include:
- 2015’s Start-up of the Year Oppo Ice Cream;
- FinTech50 2015, annual travel ticket subscription service CommuterClub;
- the UK’s fastest growing P2P lender Landbay, which recently announced a partnership with Zoopla;
- We Are Colony, a global film streaming platform founded by BAFTA-winning filmmaker Sarah Tierney;
- Readbug, the ‘Netflix for Magazines’.
Murray commented on the investments:
“Giving recognition and support to British entrepreneurs is important to me, especially those who are the driving force behind growth-focused businesses. Every one of these entrepreneurs is inspirational and dedicated to their business and I’m excited to have invested in their team’s vision and work ethic. It’s been an exciting start to 2016 for me, for many reasons. To see Seedrs reach £100 million on the platform and so many ambitious and dynamic businesses currently fundraising, means it’s a great start to 2016 for them as well.”