- Began playing at age 5, in 2001 won the All Japan Tennis Championships for Kids.
- Nicknamed "Special Kei"
- The son of father, Kiyoshi, an engineer and mother, Eri, a piano teacher. Has elder sister, Reina.
- At age 14 (2004), moved to Florida (US) to join the IMG Bollettieri Academy (didn’t know English).
- Enjoys playing football and golf.
- Listens to variety of music and fond of reading.
- Considers hard court and clay as favorite surface and his forehand as strengths.
- Has his own phone App – “keisapp”.
- Kei Nishikori is the only Japanese male tennis player in ATP Singles Ranking ever to be inside the top 10.
- First Asian male player to reach Grand Slam final.
- Has unusual style hitting the ball right at its peak that makes his groundstrokes accurate, powerful and unpredictable.
- In March 2015, reached his career-peak as No. 4. in the World.
Kei Nishikori's Activism
- Named 2008 ATP Newcomer of the Year by his fellow players.
- Played his coach Michael Chang in Tokyo in 2011 raising money earthquake relief.
- Featured in 2016 Forbes 30 under 30 Asia list.
Personal Team & Coaching
- For the 2011 season Kei was coached by Dante Bottini from the IMG Academy and
Brad Gilbert , who coached Andy Murray and former world No. 1 Andre Agassi and Andy Roddick.
- Works with Michael Chang, former world No. 2, since 2014. Under his coaching gained the habit to take balls earlier without compromising consistency that allows him to control points fluently.
- Still trains at the IMG Bollettieri Academy in Florida.