- Described herself as a happy, easy-going woman.
- Can't live without lip balm, passport and her racquets.
- Nicknamed Sammy.
- First picked up a racket at the age of 8 when was given it for Christmas.
- Played at local courts with older brother Daniel, who later encouraged their parents to take her to tennis lessons.
- Began to study at the Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) under Geoff Masters at the age of 14.
- Joined the Australian Institute of Sport tennis program when was 16.
- Is a former World No. 1 in doubles and a former World No. 4 in singles.
- Became the first Australian woman to win a Grand Slam singles tournament (since Evonne Goolagong Cawley in 1980).
- Has won five Grand Slam titles.
- Her first taste of life as a tennis pro was at the age of 13 when she played at the World Youth Cup in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Was the runner-up of the singles event at the 2010 French Open, defeating four-time champion Justine Henin, World No. 1 Serena Williams, and World No. 4 Jelena Janković en route to the final.
- Her debut was on the Women's Tennis Association tour in 2000.
- Won her first WTA singles matches in 2003, reaching the third round of the Australian Open.
- Had Lyme disease (an infection transmitted by the bite of ticks) in 2007.
- Wears ASICS clothing and Oakley eyewear, also uses Babolat racquets.
- Her favorite surface is a hard court.
- Was coached by Josh Eagle.
- Likes going to the beach, swimming in the sea, hanging out with friends and surfing.
- Her favorite TV shows are Brothers & Sisters, Seinfeld, Homeland, Grey's Anatomy.
- Enjoys watching "Notting Hill", "Anchor Man" and "Love Actually".
- Likes streaming radio from the internet. Always listens to music when working out in the gym, especially for cardio sessions.
- Steffi Graf was her tennis idol in her childhood.
- Adores Japan and Japanese culture.
- Her favorite tournament is Charleston.
- Would like to learn Spanish.
- Never forgets her sleeping in a train station in Japan with other players and strapping all their bags together so they wouldn’t get stolen.
Private Life and Family
- Was born to Tony and Diane in Brisbane, Queensland. Has got two brothers, Dominic and Daniel.
- Her grandfather was Polish.
- At her age of 6, the family house and business on the Gold Coast was destroyed by a flood, and the family moved to Adelaide. They came back home after 5 years.